Spar 700
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2001-2002 CR250 differences

what are the differences between an 01 and 02 CR250? i know most parts i see are 92-01.. are any parts interchangeable? thanks

02 when they started the case inducted motors. the whole cylinder is different
    Last edited by S+D Racing; 02-10-2010 at 09:37 AM.

The '02-'04 engines are case inducted, and the jugs are different, but the bottom ends are pretty much the same. The '02-up cranks are a slightly larger outside diameter, and some guys have fooled around with putting newer cranks in the older motors to take up more volume in the crankcase. The clutch hubs will interchange, and the transmissions will interchange. The heads are different, though. There are some other interesting things to know about the '02-'04 motors, but I can't share everything we've learned...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    The '02-'04 engines are case inducted, and the jugs are different, but the bottom ends are pretty much the same. The '02-up cranks are a slightly larger outside diameter, and some guys have fooled around with putting newer cranks in the older motors to take up more volume in the crankcase. The clutch hubs will interchange, and the transmissions will interchange. The heads are different, though. There are some other interesting things to know about the '02-'04 motors, but I can't share everything we've learned...
    Donnie,sorry to disagree(no disrespect)but my honda program says there are quite a few differences in individual transmission parts........Mainshaft & Countershaft,just to name a few.............Beel

No offense taken. I'm still learning about these motors every day. I know the gear ratios are the same, and I know that some guys are using the newer 5th gear to replace the older style (since it is stronger). Would really need to look at parts manuals side by side.

the gears and the clutch is all the same

some gears will interchange, but need maching.
    http://francisproducts.webs.com/
    2 stroke engine building and the Most Torque, HP and tunable carbs available 270/125/450/600/1000
    Dyno and race proven

Default 201 202 differance

yea one gear fits if you machine .065 off of it
    they are a carbon copy of a cr 125 just bigger
    had one brand new in 2002 took it out of the box put it on the dyno ran it
    got a number put it back in the box sold it on ebay the same day
    they make about the same hp as a 91 cr 250

according to the dyno sheets i found on stock 99-01 vs 02 250's, the 02 produces more bottom end torque and roughly 3hp more in mid to high range.. but that doesn't prove too much in my mind because i found a dyno sheet on the same site saying an 89 stock bore/stroke produced more hp/flbs than a stock stroke/.020 bore 99 with port work.. i think they need to calibrate their dyno.. lol

most sites i find praise the 02+ motors as they sit on the bike.. i'm trying to find a kart forum that may have something about the 02+ motors now..
    Last edited by oneLo dime; 02-10-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Default 02 case reed

In 2002 Honda went with a case reed design cr250 engine. The port configeration is totaly diferent from the 92-01 engine. Case reed, Bridged port exhuast instead of the tri-port. I know Don Guhl messed around with one a bit. I think Mike Rutherford and Aj Micheal ran the engine a few times. The engine seemed to lack low end grunt but it loved to run higher RPM.... It was a standard bore 74mm stroke engine. They tried all of the standard pipes and even had a custom pipe built by a pipe company who works with the shifter karts. They found that the engine just didnt cut the mustard against the very developed 92-01 CR250.