Spar 700
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shifting a 270

Default Shifting a 270

What size tracks require shifting? Are there some guys that don't shift while others do on the same track? Are there reliability issues with the gears? Has anyone done back to back testing on the same track to see the changes in lap times?

Thanks,
    Andy

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Surfref32 View Post
    What size tracks require shifting? Are there some guys that don't shift while others do on the same track? Are there reliability issues with the gears? Has anyone done back to back testing on the same track to see the changes in lap times?

Thanks,
    Andy
    You may find on a 1/4 mile or bigger track when your by your self & you can use the track the way you want you can run fast & not shift with the right gear. But with all that being said the long & short of it is shifting is where it's at.

Depends, some motors don't have broad enough power to make it all the way around in one gear. If you can though it is the fastest way around the track. We usally run without shifting on most tracks. You will have to shift when coming up threw traffic though if your momenum gets screwed up.
    http://francisproducts.webs.com/
    2 stroke engine building and the Most Torque, HP and tunable carbs available 270/125/450/600/1000
    Dyno and race proven

Default Shifting

If you are out front you should not be shifting. We run TW and you "sometimes" can leave it in 5th and let her eat. Sometimes the track is too rough. I just went to Airport. You have to shift there or you will get eaten alive either in the turn or on the straight. Unless I had the wrong gear on. Path you have to shift and If you are alone at Linda's you can make it without shifting. However like Madman says if you are in traffic, you have to shift.
    RTS Chassis / Maxima Castor 927 / Valken Rims / DBY Motorsports / M & R Floors / M.R. Stone / Little Wiggles Daycare / Mount Airy Coatings / Delco Designs LLC / WILDBOER RACING #22 270 Micro....

does not shifting a 250 open motor do any damage to it or put it at a greater risk than if you did shift?

I ran my stock 250 at lanco and airport without shifting and it worked great but that was a stock motor in a stock class.
    racing is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by alexswift View Post
    does not shifting a 250 open motor do any damage to it or put it at a greater risk than if you did shift?

I ran my stock 250 at lanco and airport without shifting and it worked great but that was a stock motor in a stock class.
    I would say run a little richer, there is alot more load on the motor in the corner. We have had very good bearing life, crank and big rod end. If you are jetted right you should be fine.
    http://francisproducts.webs.com/
    2 stroke engine building and the Most Torque, HP and tunable carbs available 270/125/450/600/1000
    Dyno and race proven

Quote Originally Posted by wildboer22 View Post
    If you are out front you should not be shifting. We run TW and you "sometimes" can leave it in 5th and let her eat. Sometimes the track is too rough. I just went to Airport. You have to shift there or you will get eaten alive either in the turn or on the straight. Unless I had the wrong gear on. Path you have to shift and If you are alone at Linda's you can make it without shifting. However like Madman says if you are in traffic, you have to shift.
    Thanks for the replies so far. I've been watching some in car videos and noticed the driver was shifting. I'm trying to learn what has changed since I quit racing micros. Shifting during the race is new to me. Back in '98 none of the 250s were shifting at Hammerdown. The only time I had to downshift was if I almost spun but saved it and lost a lot of speed. They claimed the track was an 1/8 mi but I measured the groove one night after the race and in the groove, it was a 1/5 mi. Is TW 1/3 mi? Path and Lindas claim to be a 1/4 mi. The Airport website says it's an 1/8 mi. I realize the groove is what really counts. What gears are you guys using, like 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th? Has the powerband narrowed in the last 12 years?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Surfref32 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I've been watching some in car videos and noticed the driver was shifting. I'm trying to learn what has changed since I quit racing micros. Shifting during the race is new to me. Back in '98 none of the 250s were shifting at Hammerdown. The only time I had to downshift was if I almost spun but saved it and lost a lot of speed. They claimed the track was an 1/8 mi but I measured the groove one night after the race and in the groove, it was a 1/5 mi. Is TW 1/3 mi? Path and Lindas claim to be a 1/4 mi. The Airport website says it's an 1/8 mi. I realize the groove is what really counts. What gears are you guys using, like 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th? Has the powerband narrowed in the last 12 years?
    Well as far as i know back in the 80s your weren't aloud to shift. Then some were along the way that was put a side & shifting started. Like Wildboer said on the smaller tracks if you don't shift you'll be eaten up.

Default TW

Hey at TW if you are out front I have seen and heard a couple of guys "not shift" but there you have to be super smooth. You also have to run a 13-38 or 14-41 to not shift "in my opinion". However, if you want to go fast and run away with it. you have to run a 13-37 or 14-40. If you get in traffic you have to pick your battles. These motors do not like to be bogged down when they are hot. If you have a 14-40 on and you are in traffic, you can kiss that piston good bye. I ran the 14-40 all year and plan on trying the 13-38 next year. We will see. Good luck. As for the other tracks I have not been there enough to comment on them. I ran TW all year. What is really important as well is the size of the rear tires. watch you stagger. 1" equals 1 tooth....
    RTS Chassis / Maxima Castor 927 / Valken Rims / DBY Motorsports / M & R Floors / M.R. Stone / Little Wiggles Daycare / Mount Airy Coatings / Delco Designs LLC / WILDBOER RACING #22 270 Micro....

how big of a track is TW? I am looking for good gearing for paradise speedway 1/4 mile to keep it in 4th or 5th grear. My motor seems to get the rpms to high and i usually cant get into 5th gear or back to 4th each night. We are going to take the bottom end apart in the off season but for the last few weeks im looking for a gear to just flat out run the whole track.