Spar 700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 270 Transmission Mods

I am in the process of rebuilding the bottom end of a 76 stroker and was wondering if there are any mods to the trans., as far as gearing, thats worth doning while the motor is apart. Any input would be appriciated.

Tom

Default different gears lighter crank lighter shafts

Quote Originally Posted by TSuveg View Post
    I am in the process of rebuilding the bottom end of a 76 stroker and was wondering if there are any mods to the trans., as far as gearing, thats worth doning while the motor is apart. Any input would be appriciated.

Tom
    you can not make that suff light enough

to each their own do not use lightweight 4th and 5th gears they take the most abuse and the weight savings versus $ saving doesn't even compair. it will cost you your whole bottom end when they break. speeking from experience it will happen. most of your experienced engine builders went back to solid 4th and 5th gears because of this. polish everything up really good and smooth. good luck JMO

i agree, I'm really not looking to cut weight, even though weight is very important, I was looking more for gear changes, etc. Thanks for the imput, I appriciate it.

For what its worth, we run a stock 01 tranny with the 02 5th gear (which is solid instead of spoked for durability). While I'm sure gains are available with REM finishing, lightening, or other modifications, its probably not worth it. I don't generally find that we're hurting for horsepower, and the ratios seem fine for just about everything but the huge tracks, and we just make do with what we've got there.

im with mike on this one!! always use the 2002(updated) 5th gear...the last "regular" 5th gear i had break took out the tranny,cases,crank and of course the crank got into the cylinder and ruined it! the motor bolts were the only thing i could salvage!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrutherford View Post
    For what its worth, we run a stock 01 tranny with the 02 5th gear (which is solid instead of spoked for durability). While I'm sure gains are available with REM finishing, lightening, or other modifications, its probably not worth it. I don't generally find that we're hurting for horsepower, and the ratios seem fine for just about everything but the huge tracks, and we just make do with what we've got there.

i blew my 5th gear last race of the season the m5 gear broke in half and chipped up the c5 gear as well, when using the '02 updated 5th gear do you replace both the counter shaft (c5) and main shaft (m5) gears?

When your motor is split down you should alway look for any were on your Trans gears and shift forks. If there is any slight where on them replace that gear or gears, some with your shift forks. I've ran all kind of Trans oil all the way from 30 that you have to change every race to the maxim oil is the best I've ran. You should change it every 3 to 5 races.
    Oil is cheap. Splitting your motor down because it won't shift coast $. Trans gear go from $85 to $125 or so. Oil is cheap

Whats the best oil you guys had luck with ?
    I was thinking of running Lucas Synthetic gear oil in my tranny ?

Maxim is the best that I've an $15 for 33oz
    Make the gears and forks last longer. Put new oil in every 3 to 5 races and you will be good