Spar 700

Default Chain hitting HBS motor mount

Hey Guys,

Last year i had an issue with my chain cutting into my HBS 636 motor mount. Can anyone tell me whats the cause? Is it from too much side-play in the chain? Should my engine sprocket be spaced out more? Has anyone had the problem?

Thankyou For Your Help!

do you have the gear spacer behind frt gear??

If you mean, spacing washers. Yes, i have been using three spacing washers

Did you put the spacers in right place when putting motor mounts on ? make sure your chain is running straight, if not respace your rear sprocket. use a straight edge or string to align sprockets .Car should be on ground when doing this.also you may not need 3 spacers on front,as some gears require less depending on how they were machined. I've used both types on a 636.

Motor has not been taken out since I bought the car last year and the previous owner didn't have this issue. I use a straight edge to align the chain each week so I don't think that's the issue either.

Panhard or W-Link? could chassis be shifting under load?

You might want to check for a cracked weld on panhard mount. Also check for bent heim on rod.Do you run a chain tensioner?

I haven't seen many that don't dig in. How bad is it?

Hyper upright for panhard slider could be bent as well, the panhard may be bent, The spacing when you (if you) changed gears may not have been the same on the gear hub, or perhaps a spacer was taken off and not replaced before the gear. Also the higher you run the panhard bar the shorter it becomes, moving the rear gear closer to the chassis and the chain closer to the mount. I have found the guide block at rear to be very helpful in keeping the side to side movement of the chain portion under control as well.