Spar 700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine selection

Putting together our first car and trying to decide on engine. I currently have an f3 but from what I understand they are to heavy and do t make the power.

I see the 05/06 kawi as well as the r6 are very popular. I see a few with the gsxr.

Is there any advantage to one over the other?

In Australia we aren't allowed the 636 so I can't speak for how they go, but from what I gather they make more torque, biggest problem I see with them is in the future getting cases etc for them, they only made so many of them and it's only a matter of time before they exhaust all the resources for them, the r6 and the gsxr have a rev advantage in PA over the 636, the r6 has a steeper power curve than the gsxr, I have found with running a gsxr they are more reliabe, (I believe it's to do with the oiling system) the gsxr is a little heavier though, bigger rods etc, the gsxr on mfi is a monster on race starts compared with the r6 with the same mfi
    Sean Henderson Racing.. Q73
    Sponsors..
    NQ crash and 4wd spares
    Intense lighting systems
    Intense racing engines
    Royal precision lubricants
    Wayne Leonard Motorcycles
    Reef Engineering

Yeah a quick google search of the 636 vs r6 shows how much better available parts are for the r6.

If you're racing with PA rules, the Kawasaki is cheaper and makes very close to the same power as the R6. Plus, you'll have better luck finding a used injection for a Kawasaki.

I came across a deal on a 2004 r6. Engine is stock off the bike. Is there any good places to get aftermarket parts for them? We have an engine and machine shop so building it won?t be any problem. However I haven?t found much info on cams, header, or even a good place to get replacement parts for them.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of feedback on here on this question since this forum doesn't have the traffic it once did. A big question is what rules package are you building the engine to?

Mike correct me if I am wrong but you can't touch the cylinder head with PA rules correct? To the exception of a multi seat job, I believe the 04 your looking at will be the
    R6s motor, they have a much smaller head on them (intake and exhaust runners) than the 05 or 06 on r6r,
    they have a single row oil pump chain instead of the double row and I think they have less compression (not 100 percent positive on that, and I think the rods might be smaller too, guys here use the R6s heads and raise the roof of the intake runner to get a straighter shot at the back of the valve, plus they widen the exhaust runner, you would be better off (if you are using an r6) to find an r6r engine, or you can take mike's advice and go the kawi for the short term (untill you can't get parts no more)
    Sean Henderson Racing.. Q73
    Sponsors..
    NQ crash and 4wd spares
    Intense lighting systems
    Intense racing engines
    Royal precision lubricants
    Wayne Leonard Motorcycles
    Reef Engineering

Honestly, the only way to make the pre-06 r6's competitive with PA rules is to make it a 636, which isn't very cost effective.

That's not to say you can't run up front with one and we don't race dynos, but that platform is at a decided disadvantage with stock displacement under PA rules, compared to some of the other platforms.

I gotcha. Thank you guys for the input.

Do you feel a pre 06 built to a 636 would be competitive? Or would the newer r6r or kawi still hold the advantage?

Right now were were looking for laps and seat time. We?ve done 10 years in Karting but this is all new to us.