Best way to store tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to store tires

What would be the best way to store tires? Seems they dry rot very quickly. Any input?

Originally posted by tima View Post
    What would be the best way to store tires? Seems they dry rot very quickly. Any input?
    If you have a place in your basement & it's dry. Put them on a piece of plywood don't let them come in contact with concrete. Works for us.

Comment

tire care

Clean them with soapy water ( car washing soap ) and shrink wrap them. The car washing soap has petrolium in it and "lubes" the rubber for storage... they should be good to go over the winter... and also do what DD says....
      RTS Chassis / Maxima Castor 927 / Valken Rims / DBY Motorsports / M & R Floors / M.R. Stone / Little Wiggles Daycare / Mount Airy Coatings / Delco Designs LLC / WILDBOER RACING #22 270 Micro....

Comment

I was told by a supplier to do all of the above... and... put them in a black garbage bag. This way no light can get to the rubber.

If you do all that, in essense, you have stored your tires perfectly.
        Zach Light
        11z

Winning isn't about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.

Comment

i just spray wd-40 on mine and keep them on the rack in my shop with 5 psi in all of them, that way they don't shrink or grow during the winter months when we have the heater on in our shop.
          If you ain't first then... well you ain't first

Comment

Keep them in a place they won't go thru alot of temp changes ,in the dark ,sun is the main enemy along with extreme cold.all the previous posts are all good info

Comment

Originally posted by SFM View Post
              Keep them in a place they won't go thru alot of temp changes ,in the dark ,sun is the main enemy along with extreme cold.all the previous posts are all good info
              Yeap SFM thats why i put them in the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHawk View Post
                i just spray wd-40 on mine and keep them on the rack in my shop with 5 psi in all of them, that way they don't shrink or grow during the winter months when we have the heater on in our shop.
                Why (even though I do know, I'd like to hear your response) are you spraying them with WD-40?

Are you grinding them first, and then laying down a coat of WD-40?

Comment

I believe WD-40 has alcohol in it. alcohol will rot rubber

Comment

WD-40 works great. It is petroleum based, and puts the oil back in the rubber. They get hard and crack when the oil evaporates from old age, or heat cycles.

Comment

dan-man's right, wd-40 is petro based, which helps to rejuvinate older tires, and works well to store them. When i ran karts, our process was get a 5 gallon bucket, put 1 gallon of diesel fuel in, and 2 gallons of wd-40, use a rag and wipe the solution on the tires, saran-wrap them, and store them. I had tires that when you removed the saran wrap, they stuck to your hands, while not allowing them to dry-rot.
                      If you ain't first then... well you ain't first

Comment

Do NOT store them near any electric motors. Including the blower motor in your furnance. Ozone is created by electric motors and is the enemy of rubber. That is the reason sunlight dry rots rubber. Ozone is also created by some extremely hot light bulbs, so just keep this in mind when storing anything rubber.

Comment

wipe em down with wd-40 and wrap them in cellophane, and keep them somewhere out of the sun.(basement)

Comment

Working...
                          X