New racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New racer

Been around the northeast modified world as a pit crew member for 5 years looking into a 600 mirco sprint. What chassis is best? How much should I set aside for this car. Any help would be greatly appreciate
    Last edited by Hagerty111; 05-08-2020, 12:50 PM.

I am by no means an expert, but I like RTS and Triple X. Hypers are no doubt one of the fastest cars, but i do not trust the safety of them with the thinner walled tubing on the roll cage. With a hyper expect to spend about $20k for a complete brand new car, an RTS around $15k. Hypers tend to be more expensive than anything else, but if it were me id look for a newer used RTS wishbone or if you have to, z-link car. It all comes down to what you like and can make work. Its all down to the driver........

Comment

Originally posted by thenuber9car View Post
      I am by no means an expert, but I like RTS and Triple X. Hypers are no doubt one of the fastest cars, but i do not trust the safety of them with the thinner walled tubing on the roll cage. With a hyper expect to spend about $20k for a complete brand new car, an RTS around $15k. Hypers tend to be more expensive than anything else, but if it were me id look for a newer used RTS wishbone or if you have to, z-link car. It all comes down to what you like and can make work. Its all down to the driver........
      Is the diam. of the tube the same size? Hyper always used a larger diam. tube then anyone else.

Comment

It is the same diam., just different thickness of the tubing wall. They crumble like a tin can. There for a while they had a problem with the welds breaking

Comment

Originally posted by thenuber9car View Post
          It is the same diam., just different thickness of the tubing wall. They crumble like a tin can. There for a while they had a problem with the welds breaking
          Well that's all new to me ran Hyper's for 14 yrs.& loved them.

Comment

Honestly, there's so much to learn but it sounds like you at least have some knowledge. I've always told new people to start as basic as you can and you can only go up from there. Money you'll find with these things is the key element. How much you spend depends on you. Don't look brand new. I good used car will save you money in the short run, and you can gauge your expenditures from there. Stick to a chassis where they are solvent, or have been around and buy something that the manufactuer is relatively local for parts sake. You'll find yourself needing answers to a lot of questions that come up. For just starting out, for confidence and making laps pick a track that doesn't have high car counts o where you can usually make all the features. Nothing wrong with that. Running 10 heat laps and a B main for another 10 and then having to call it a night will prolong your learning process. It's OK to race where they have only 20 cars. You're not gonna get rich off this even if you win. Crewing and racing are two totally different things. with a season under your belt and a lot of laps you can decide next year if you want to dip your toes (and you should) into some of the more bigger tracks (by that I mean the Linda's, Clyde Martin). It's no fun beating your brains out just to go home. Leave the track feeling you accomplished something. Rule of thumb I started out with- if there are 25 cars and you finish 10th in the feature that's 15 cars you were better than. Use that as building blocks. Chassis in general don't chnage that much to where you will see a major difference, especially when being new to running them. If you have no fun starting out and get frustrated instead, you'll wonder why you spent all that money for new stuff. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X