U6SA Meeting November 2014...please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U6SA Meeting November 2014...please read

The U6SA tri-annual meeting was held Wednesday November 12th 2014 6:30 PM at the Hyper Shop.

We have two individuals running for U6SA director. Jim Young and Zach Light. A closed ballot vote will be taken at the end of the meeting. Jim Young is new U6SA Director
    Rule change proposals.

#1 Remove all of rule 7. (this rule did not pass)

#2 Change rule 7. a) to remove the words No aftermarket ECU’s, stock appearing ECU only. Reflashing of ECU and factory race ECU’s are allowed. The new rule would be this:
    7) Ignition
    a) Stock factory rev limit must remain in place for all engines larger than 600cc. Rev limit for all 600cc (nothing larger than 600cc) engines is 16,100 rpms. U6SA specified Rev Limit must remain intact at all times (no switched or gear specific limiters). If a computer is hooked up to check the ECU it must be set to U6SA specified rpm’s, no tolerance. See specifications list for RPM limits.
    (this rule did not pass)

#3 Change the U6SA rev limit on all engines larger than 600cc's to be 14,700 (currently it is set to be the stock rev limit of each particular engine) This would make tech of the rev limit a little easier.
    7) Ignition
    a) No aftermarket ECU’s, stock appearing ECU only. Reflashing of ECU and factory race ECU’s are
    allowed. Rev limit for all engines larger than 600cc is 14,800 rpm’s. Rev limit for all 600cc (nothing larger than 600cc) engines is 16,100 rpms. U6SA specified Rev Limit must remain intact at all times (no switched or gear specific limiters). If a computer is hooked up to check the ECU it must be set to U6SA specified rpm’s, no tolerance.
    (this rule did not pass)

#4 Change rule 7. h) from a 50 rpm tolerance to a 100 rpm tolerance. It can be difficult to hold a Yamaha R6 to 16150, the person doing the check has to be real easy on the throttle and not cause the engine to run past the limiter. Here would be the new rule:
    7) Ignition
    h) A 100 rpm over rev tolerance for the purpose of tech inspection is acceptable. (Note: this does not
    mean you can turn up the rpms in any ECU by any amount)
    (this rule did not pass)

#5 Add Rule
    7) Ignition
    i) No Switchable wires for changing ignition maps, fuel maps, or rev limits must be contained and secured in the wiring harness. (the wires must be taped up, not visible, and unable to be switched in any way)
    (this rule passed)

#6 Remove rule 8. d), which it would also make sense then to eliminate rule 8. e) since our rules are a set of rules of things that cannot be done, there is no reason to say that it can. The rule currently is:
    8) Air Induction system
    a) No mechanically forced induction (turbo charging, supercharging)
    b) Any carburetors may be used on any engine, regardless of year of engine.
    i) Note: Switching to carburetors on engines that came with fuel injection usually increases the
    rev limiter due to the removal of the injectors as the ECU cuts fuel to limit rpm’s before it
    cuts the ignition. A reflash of the ECU will be required if using carburetors in order to comply
    with the rev limit rule 7. a)
    c) If the engine did not come from the factory with fuel injection, fuel injection may not be used.
    d) No after market throttle bodies.
    e) Mechanical Fuel Injection (MFI) can be used.
    (this rule passed)

#7 Change rule from:
    2) Overall Engine
    b) No titanium anywhere in or on the engine, unless it comes stock form manufacturer of engine on the production bike.

To:
    2) Overall Engine
    b) No titanium anywhere in or on the engine, unless it comes stock form manufacturer of engine on
    the production bike or on the after market rods.
    (this rule passed)

#8 Standardized location for the transponder for all tracks.
    (this rule passed)

#9 Limit the number of on board adjusters to 2.
    (this rule did not pass)

#10 Right rear tire must be a spec tire and durometer 50 before and after the race.
    (this rule did not pass)

Thank you!
    Mike Dicely
    U6SA Director
    Last edited by Mike Dicely; 11-13-2014, 07:53 AM.

Why wouldn't you have an individual vote allowing MFI with examples such as off the shelf such as engler kinsler and hilborne?

and is there not a proposal for allowing aftermarket ecu's (not just removing the term but still keep stock appearing which leaves it open to opinion---- "such as its black and its plastic and has 2 plugs on it ---- looks stock appearing to me" .......vague rules open the door for arguments when someone wants to complain

Comment

The rules are written as a list of things that can not be done. Everything else can be done.

I agree that stock appearing is vague. Hopefully that will go away.

MFI is legal, it is the after market throttle bodies rule that needs to go away. Once that goes away, then the Engler setup will be legal.

Comment

I get that.... but in reality the no after market tb's rule was geared to stop people from some all out custom machining billet tb's.... so rather then group them why not make an exception to mass produced stuff that any guy could buy on the market not a one off custom deal.....

Comment

I don't think we want to start listing things that are legal. That gets away from the whole philosophy of the rules being... "if it doesn't say you can't, then you can".

I get what you are saying PJ... but I feel the rules will be alright. If someone (I'm guessing these people would be very few and far between) wants to spend the money to have a custom, one off, machined billet tb's to race for a weekly average of around $300 to win... then go for it. I don't foresee many people going that route though. Just my opinion... I may be wrong.
          Zach Light
          11z

Winning isn't about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.

Comment

i agree zack and i dont see someone going that route but i feel the general vote will aim to keep that because they will think someone would.... law of averages lol

Comment

I am hoping this time around people use their heads when voting. I felt the last time, people were not well informed (by no one's fault but their own) on what MFI really was, what it actually meant and what was available. I think there has been a lot of educating over the past few years of what is available to racers if they should desire to go "against the normal".
              Zach Light
              11z

Winning isn't about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by z_light11 View Post
                I am hoping this time around people use their heads when voting. I felt the last time, people were not well informed (by no one's fault but their own) on what MFI really was, what it actually meant and what was available. I think there has been a lot of educating over the past few years of what is available to racers if they should desire to go "against the normal".
                well said

Comment

I am not one for the spec tire rule but if it is voted in then some consideration needs to be made for the guys that currently have other compound RR.
                  What would you do with the new RR you currently have?

Comment

I agree, I am not for the spec tire U6SA rule either. I am however in favor of some tracks, like Linda's going to the spec tire. That would save a ton of money for the racers that race there.

Comment

GVAT defitlney not in favor of spec tire, it could be left up to track if wanted to be.

Comment

After years of running harder tires I am still lost as to why people are against harder tires. Perhaps there is a lack of understanding? The bottom line is that more races per tire is like extra $$ in your payout each night. Not really sure why people like burning up their hard earned cash. I understand when there is no minimum then you need to bolt on softer tires to be competitive with others with soft tires.
                        Surely the Speedweek tire rules exposed enough people to put the uninformed theories to rest.

Comment

You just don't burn up,tires at GVAT,

Comment

Once you take the edges off a hoosier in the harder compound they are junk unless you grind and re groove them, a mate uses A/R and he doesn't touch his tyres till they are bald, he seen a massive gain in grip over the hoosier too, I found running the softer hoosier I wouldn't hafto touch the tyre till it was bald, effectively I am getting the same tyre life from the soft compound to the hard compound because I am constantly reviving the hard compound tyre, whereas the top dollar teams just mount new tyres all the time, I guess every track will be different on tyres but I have not seen the gain or saved any money since we went to the control tyre
                            Sean Henderson Racing.. Q73
                            Sponsors..
                            NQ crash and 4wd spares
                            Intense lighting systems
                            Intense racing engines
                            Royal precision lubricants
                            Wayne Leonard Motorcycles
                            Reef Engineering

Comment

Engine Tech seems to be the biggest issue with tracks running U6SA rules , Adding or taking away visual parts does not do a thing without engine tech. If tracks arent going to tech, They should be a run what you brung and not be shown as a U6SA ....... Mid west tracks thrive because you can take a decent motor there and run with them due to smaller tracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X