rule 6c clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rule 6c clarification

rule 5a and 6c have been tightened to eliminate any gray areas2015-2017 U6SA 600 Sprint Engine Rules new.pdf
    Last edited by U6SA Director; 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM. Reason: change

Is shot peening aloud rat? Because if you machined a gear then shot peened it, it can look like the oem gear in question has only been shot peened???
    Basically the shot peening can mask machine work
    Sean Henderson Racing.. Q73
    Sponsors..
    NQ crash and 4wd spares
    Intense lighting systems
    Intense racing engines
    Royal precision lubricants
    Wayne Leonard Motorcycles
    Reef Engineering

Comment

Shot peening in and of itself is allowed per the rule. Machining is not allowed. If you machine the gear it will look different than a stock gear.

Comment

The intent of having meetings every three years is to keep the rules frozen for that period of time. If the director and or rules committee deem it necessary to make a change, an emergency meeting or U6SA members vote on a specific rule can take place.
        This is not a clarification this is a rule change and as such is not in accordance with the by-laws.

Comment

I thought our us6a rules were put in place to put a limit on cost. Looks to me like someone is changing the rules as we go. Also why they are locked for the period of time that they are. All this is going to do is raise cost more and push people out of the sport, and make it whoever spends the most wins. JMO

Comment

So who clarified this exactly? It seemed cut n dry. How exactly does this change all of a sudden overnight? Seems a lot like a back room closed doors type of deal without opinions or discussion.

Comment

As someone that understands the difficulty of trying to creating/enforcing rules, I understand that many times you cannot make everyone happy with decisions. There are many times that rules will need clarification and adjustment to cover grey areas. That being said, in the particular case, I cannot understand why anyone would think this needed clarification or adjustments. Perhaps the original rule was incorrect and if so, according to the bylaws the rules cannot be changed until the next meeting and can only interpreted by the rules committee. In the spirit of transparency, those on such a committee should be named so that everyone can understand the process.

As for the particular issue.. here is why I don't believe it needed any clarification based on the rules.

2015-2017 600cc U6SA Engine Rules
              U6SA Page 1 of 2 Issue Date: 11/12/2014
              1) Terms and conditions.
              a) If a change or modification to the stock engine or its parts is not included in these rules then the modification is considered legal.
              b) The word stock means unmodified factory original parts or components.

Read this sentence slowly.. make sure you understand the intent is to clarify the word stock. Please take note of the clarification of the term "unmodified"

6) Clutch/Transmission
              a) No removal of clutch.
              b) Clutch must remain operational
              c) No modification to the stock transmission gears, no close-ratio gears or nonstandard gear-ratios. All gears must remain in transmission, no removing any gears.

It's as clear as day that the transmission gears cannot be touched in anyway and must remain exactly as the factory intended.

If you start to have unknown people interpreting the rules and ignoring the definitions, especially when the terms are so clearly defined, then you now have an open 600cc class as no one can trust that the rules as written today will not be modified to suit unknown agendas at some future date.
              Last edited by Cobra 14; 03-07-2015, 03:47 PM.

Comment

As a sanity check, I went back to the 2012 rules. These modifications were not allowed in the previous rules, so its not like there was a change this year and subsequent confusion.

U6SA 2012 Sportsman 600cc Sprint Rules
                U6SA Page 1 of 3 Issue Date: 8/30/2010
                1) Terms and conditions
                a) If a change or modification to the stock engine or its parts is not included in these rules then
                the modification is considered legal.
                b) The word Stock means unmodified factory original parts or components that came with
                the original engine.

6) Clutch/Transmission
                a) Clutch
                a. Clutch must remain operational
                b. No aluminum clutches
                b) No modification to the stock transmission gears, no close-ratio gears or nonstandard gear ratios.
                All gears must remain in transmission, no removing any gears.

Comment

Why can one engine builder offer to cryogenic your tranny and then when this other process comes up it is now an issue. How can you say no to polishing gears when there is no way to prove that cryogenic process isn't done. You can't say no to one and have no way to detect the other. just another way certain people are trying to control the class while others including themselves are running wild

Comment

It looks like they only clarified the rule nothing has changed.
                    Spar has advertised Cryogenic treatment for years.

Comment

All rules aside for a second, what is wrong with treating the trans gears for strength and longevity? Is this not about cost? Treating the gears will help strengthen the gears and ultimately save you money, what happens when you break 3rd gear and it wipes out your oil pump chain and you are left on the infield with the engine running trying to select gears and thinking WTF is going on I only have a box full of neutrals??? Meanwhile the engine is getting destroyed by no oil pressure? (don't laugh I seen a beginner driver go through this 2 seasons ago) and whatever you gain in a performance coating of the gears is so small it could be negated by running 1-2 psi less in the rear tyres (more rolling resistance) if you make people run parts that will break then the whole principle of cheaper racing is out the window after the 1st failure
                      Sponsors..
                      NQ crash and 4wd spares
                      Intense lighting systems
                      Intense racing engines
                      Reef Engineering

Comment

AussieQ73
                        It's not about that at all, why after 5years and rules that state we are locked why do we need clarification of something that is so blatantly clear. Obliviously the "committee" is missing the point. We are currently on the edge of several track's abandoning the rules body we live by, but yet we continue to destroy ourselves? As a former car owner and now an active car chief I am definitely not clear on why every year we continue to travel down the same road of destruction.

Comment

This should not even be an issue. "NO" means no and "Stock" means stock there is nothing to question or interpret. Polishing - no. Grinding or lightning - no, not sure what is left to be determined. Stop trying to pick out engine builders and maybe look at who you are using and know what's in your engine before throwing stones.

Comment

Jeff I totally agree, don't get me wrong, it states clear as day in the rules what the rules are, I think the rule was a stuff up to begin with though, I don't see why strengthening something like a trans gear isn't a cost effective modification, the gain in performance is very very minimal to the point you probally wouldn't notice unless it was drag racing, the single biggest modification you can do to an engine other than compression and overbore is cam timing, as far as I know adj cam sprockets are allowed under u6sa are they not? You can dial an engine in for short track torque or long track horsepower with adjustable cam sprockets, a compression gauge, a degree wheel and a work bench, the engine doesn't even need to come apart, I think everyone is trying to split hairs over little things like this when the real gains are to be had with getting the most of the equipment that you actually are allowed to use
                            Sponsors..
                            NQ crash and 4wd spares
                            Intense lighting systems
                            Intense racing engines
                            Reef Engineering

Comment

So let me get this straight, cryogenic treatment isn't a modification but polishing is. Can't have your cake and eat it to. Nobody is aiming at one engine builder but don't allow something and disput another. As far as keeping the cost down in this class, you don't have to have this done, if someons wants to fine, let them spend there money. Lord knows it doesn't matter how many rules you make, if someone wants to charge thousands for a motor, they will as long as teams go along with it. Seems like the only people crying are the ones that aren't even in this class or guys that don't want others to have what they already have.

Comment

Working...
                              X